Monday, August 09, 2004

STATELESS PEOPLE IN DETENTION

A recent Australian High Court decision which endorses the Government’s right to keep stateless people in detention for life, has sent a big chill down the spin of asylum-seekers throughout the land.

But critics of this policy will not be silenced. In fact, they continue to argue that asylum-seekers are stateless people; that statelessness is not a crime. Therefore, they should not be detained.

In other words, detaining the stateless people for life is an enormous punishment for a crime they did not commit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read with amazement the article on "stateless people". To detain someone indefinetely or for life is something I cannot understand.
I live and work in the USA and have been interested in the "Lost Boys of Sudan" since they first began to bring them from the Kakuma Refugee camp in Kenya. I live in the city of Greensboro, state of North Carolina. We have about 150 of the "Lost Boys" living here spread out over three cities. I have met all of them and find them to all be loving, kind, considerate, and have a very strong wish to get an education. Most of them now have jobs and some of them work another part time job so they can pay for their books while in school. I can imagine their bewilderment at being raised in a refugee camp and haing to deal with this change in lifestyle so abruptly. I also must say that I would like to hear from any of the "Lost Boys" that live in Australia. I work and assist refugees and asylees in North Carolina. I may be reached at gjpoole1@hotmail.com

May God bless.
Gloria Poole