Monday, February 06, 2006

The Bogus Woman takes Centre Stage

The good news is that Kay Adshead’s devastating play, The Bogus Woman, has taken the centre stage in the land Down Under.

It has already been selected as one of the five top theatre shows to see in the upcoming Adelaide Fringe Festival in South Australia, according to The Advertiser newspaper report.

The Bogus Woman
is a powerful political play on aspects of immigration procedures – a highly successful one woman show.

It is a play which speaks to us through a poetic language that is both brutal and beautiful. A commanding moral voice on stage!

Full credits to Sarah Niles who plays over 48 different characters as the story is told of a young African woman who has to flee her country, after the mass murder of her family and seeks asylum in London.

Kay Adshead has effectively used modern theatre to give voice to those who are struggling for justice and freedom under the most difficult circumstances.

A great political theatre!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A truely moving performance worthy of the standing ovation Niles received.

I'll never complain about my petty problems again.

Anonymous said...

I recently saw the Bogus women with my school and as a 14 year old, i didn't enjoy it that much. Despite the fact that I can tell its a great piece of theatre, it was somewhat confusing, slow pacing and I found it easy to lose concentration on the play. It was exceptionally well performed and written - I was quite disbelieved on how someone could memorise so many lines! I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I was older and more mature about political issues.

Anonymous said...

I saw this recently with my school and as a 14-year-old, I loved it. Inspirational, unbelieveable, complex, deep and captivating are just some of the words I would use to describe it. This said, I do agree that it was a poor choice for a high school audience. The portrayal of very intricate political issues along with the jumping between time frames, coupled with the average attention span of 14-year-olds and the fact that there was swearing and the portrayal of sex, would make it more for the willing audience. Niles was incredible and was unfliching in her focus, even when a girl fainted in the audience. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

i saw this play with my class and i actually thought it was kind of boring in a few bits, but a few bits captivated me as she showed so much expression in her face as well as in her voice. I thought it was a great play overall and give her thumbs up!! Great work Niles!

Anonymous said...

i saw this play with my class and i actually thought it was kind of boring in a few bits, but a few bits captivated me as she showed so much expression in her face as well as in her voice. I thought it was a great play overall and give her thumbs up!! Great work Niles!