Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Hand of Friendship

Concerned about the wellbeing of refugees, the Charles Sturt Council in South Australia has, recently, established a new program to forge closer links between residents and the new arrivals.

The main thrust of the new policy is on building bridges across cultures; lending a helping hand of friendship where it matters.

The Community of Friends Scheme puts volunteers in regular contact with the new migrants and refugees in order to help them settle into the local community.

Meanwhile, the African refugees are the main beneficiaries of this new approach to integration and resettlement in the state.



Friendship
On the fatal shore…
Summer moon


© Lawrence T. Udo-Ekpo

8 comments:

CiCi said...

Having been a recent recipient of similar friendly hands in this community, I can attest that it can make a difference between succeeding and total depression. It is so interesting for me to hear about the kindness and humanity exhibited in your community and I send hugs to you all across the globe.

African Refugees said...

Well said, Technobabe! I really appreciate your kindness and support. Hugs!!

Hels said...

I appreciate your blog also, and have created a link to my blod.

Many thanks
Hels
Melbourne
http://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com/

African Refugees said...

Thanks for the link, Hels.
Cheers!

Damian said...

I've just discovered this blog. I see that you haven't posted for a couple of months, but hope you write again soon.

African Refugees said...

Thank you for your comment, Toaf. Much appreciated!

CiCi said...

Hello friend,
You have been on hiatus too, but I hope you will be writing your beautiful poems again soon. I have started pounding some keys lately, trying to get back into blogging. Hope you are well.

African Refugees said...

What a wonderful comment, Technobabe! How are you today? I hope all is well with you and that you are enjoying your day.

Looking forward to reading your articles soon!